Since 1993, Read Aloud Loveland has been building literacy skills amongst preschool children in the Loveland and Berthoud area. This Elevations Foundation grantee, staffed entirely by volunteer community members, has opened doors to literacy for thousands of young people in the Loveland area.
Reading to young children can provide them with lifelong benefits. Children who have adults read to them regularly are exposed to a broader vocabulary, develop curiosity and listening skills, and may enter school better prepared to master the essential skill of reading. Young children whose parents read them just one book per day will enter kindergarten having heard about 290,000 more words than their peers who weren’t read to.
With its group of over 50 trained volunteers, Read Aloud Loveland works year-round, exposing young children to reading. The organization focuses on reaching children where they are, providing books to kids and educating parents on the importance of early literacy and how to make it fun!
Read Aloud Loveland hopes to share and instill the love of reading in children and their caregivers. It strives to place quality books into the hands of young children. Some of their readers’ favorite authors are Eric Carle, Mercer Mayer, Kim Norman, Lauren Thompson and Margaret Wise Browning.
Read Aloud Loveland’s volunteers can often be found:
- Reading weekly to Head Start classes and community preschools
- Holding pajama story times at the Loveland Public Library, where each child takes a book home with them (the 6th Annual Pajama Night at the Library will be held Tues., October 20, 2020 at 6:30pm)
- Stocking book baskets at local community organizations that serve preschool children
- Providing new mothers (and mothers-to-be) with board books and pamphlets on the importance of reading
- Recording incarcerated parents reading a children’s book, after which the book, recording and a personal note from the parent are mailed to their child
- Doing much, much more — generations of people are feeling Read Aloud Loveland’s impact in ways we’ll never fully know
Elevations Foundation is proud to support Read Aloud Loveland and its mission to instill a love of reading in every child. If you are interested in being an ongoing or one-time reading volunteer or want to learn more about Read Aloud Loveland, visit their Facebook page. To learn more about Elevations Foundation, visit our website.